ISSN 2415-1297 (Online)   ISSN 2415-1300 (Print)
 
             
 
Volume : 27 Issue : 3 Year : 2019
 
Litter Productıon and Physico-Chemical Conditions in Mangrove, Avicennia Marina (Forsk.) Vierh., Swamps at Karachi Back Waters and Bakran Creek [Med J Islamic World Acad Sci]
Med J Islamic World Acad Sci. 1990; 3(1): 15-21

Litter Productıon and Physico-Chemical Conditions in Mangrove, Avicennia Marina (Forsk.) Vierh., Swamps at Karachi Back Waters and Bakran Creek

Pirzada Ja Siddiqui, Rashida Qasim
From Department of Biochemistry, University of Karachi, Karachi- 75270, Pakistan.

In the present work data on litter production and some physico-chemical parameters, such as dissolved oxygen, salinity, pH and temperature, is presented and discussed. Study area exhibits monospecific conditions and Avicenia marina (Forsk.) Vierh. is the sole representative species. Litter production fluctuates with seasons. 74% of the total production is contributed through the leaf-fall. Remaining 26% is comprised of twigs, fruits and flowers. Total amount of production is 3.71 ± 0.36 t. ha-1. Pattern of variation is dissolved oxygen content was similar at the two sites studied except for the magnitude of values which were consistently low at the back waters. Salinity was high as that sea water indicating low influx of fresh waters. PH was generally alkaline and temperature varies with seasons.

Keywords: Productivity, mangrove swamps, Rhizosphere, back waters, Bakran Creek, litter fall.


Pirzada Ja Siddiqui, Rashida Qasim. Litter Productıon and Physico-Chemical Conditions in Mangrove, Avicennia Marina (Forsk.) Vierh., Swamps at Karachi Back Waters and Bakran Creek. Med J Islamic World Acad Sci. 1990; 3(1): 15-21

Corresponding Author: Pirzada Ja Siddiqui, Pakistan


TOOLS
Full Text PDF
Print
Download citation
RIS
EndNote
BibTex
Medlars
Procite
Reference Manager
Share with email
Share
Send email to author

Similar articles
PubMed
Google Scholar




   
Copyright © 2021 medicaljournal-ias.org. All Rights Reserved.